Challenge Based Learning (CBL) provides an efficient and effective framework for learning while solving real-world challenges.
The Challenge Based Learning framework is divided into three interconnected phases: Engage, Investigate, and Act. Each phase includes exploratory cycles and activities that prepare you to move to the next phase. Supporting the entire framework is an ongoing process of documentation, reflection, and sharing.
Challenge Based Learning fuels Powerful Learning that is:
- Personal and accessible by prompting learners to identify and connect with personally relevant challenges in the Engage phase.
- Authentic and challenging by supporting learners to conduct rigorous content- and concept-based research in the Investigate phase.
- Collaborative and connected by encouraging learners to collaborate on creating and implementing a solution in the Act phase.
- Inquisitive and reflective by challenging learners to ask essential and guiding questions, and to document, reflect, and share as they answer them throughout the entire CBL process.
Digital Promise leverages CBL in multiple projects, including:
- Ciena Solutions Challenge: The Ciena Solutions Challenge is a global design challenge inviting middle and high school educators and students to take action on the issues they care about.
- Next Generation Science: Our Challenge Based Science Learning toolkit helps educators design student-driven science units aligned to the Next Generation Science Standards.
- 360˚ Story Lab: Our 360˚ Production Guide supports learners to engage, investigate, and act to create immersive media on issues that matter to them.