Mixed Media (Audio, Photography, Video, Animation and Design)
In this section, you’ll investigate how to combine audio, photography, video, animation, or design to tell a story or share creative work. Storytelling and design have the power to educate and inspire people. Consider these questions as you think about what you want to create and how you want to capture people’s attention and engage them in meaningful ways.
- What do I need to know about the issue I’ve chosen and how it affects my community?
- How do I communicate about my topic using audio, photography, video, animation, or design?
- Who am I creating for?
- What is the impact I want my project to have?
- How do I want them to experience it?
Your media could take any form, from narrative to documentary to experimental.
Sample Audio, Photography, Video, Animation and Design Apps and Tools
- Adobe – Multimedia and creativity tools, including Adobe Fresco for digital drawing and painting, Adobe Spark for easily creating social media content in just a few steps, Adobe Premiere Rush for quickly creating, editing, and sharing online videos
- Audacity – A digital audio editor and recording tool
- Clips (iOS only)- A mobile video editing software application
- Canva – A web-based graphic design tool
- Flourish – Turn spreadsheets into online charts and maps or combine them into one interactive story.
- Gimp (GNU Image Manipulation Program) – A tool for image manipulation.
- Inkscape – A tool for creating or editing vector graphics such as illustrations, diagrams, and even complex paintings
- Knight Lab’s storytelling toolbox – Easy-to-use tools to tell stories using photos, audio, timelines, maps, and numbers.
- OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) Studio – Free and open source software for video recording and live streaming.
- Thinglink – A platform and tools for adding clickable tags (including text, audio files) and creating interactive infographics, maps, drawings, photos and videos.
- WeVideo – A collaborative, web-based video editing platform.