Advocating for Safe and Secure Data Exchange
The League of Innovative Schools views safe and secure data exchange as a critical priority to supporting student learning outcomes. Data interoperability is defined as the seamless, secure, and controlled exchange of data between applications. A widespread lack of data interoperability in education presents a significant barrier to the ability of educators, parents, and students to view student progress across digital tools and get access to useful, timely and actionable data.
Achieving safe and secure interoperability across a district’s data systems leads to:
- increased privacy and security of student data
- streamlined access to student learning and engagement data to provide teachers and parents with important insights to support students
- improved data quality
- ability to visualize data in near real-time to help inform decisions and tailor instruction
- support for compliance with federal and state privacy regulations
- improved outcomes for learners supported with comprehensive data
The adoption of data standards by districts and vendors is the surest way to advance the work. The League of Innovative Schools is advocating for broad adoption of data standards to ensure our students’ data is private, secure and made available to educators, parents, and students in ways that support their ability to improve student outcomes.
CALL TO ACTION: How can school districts advance safe and secure data exchange?
- Sign the Project Unicorn pledge to advocate for secure, interoperable standards.
- Launch a project to learn how to implement data standards
- Establish agreements that require vendors to adhere to data standards.
- Utilize social media to show your support for data interoperability. See sample Tweets below.
- Our school district is committed to the safe and secure exchange of data. Join us: digitalpromise.org/di #DPLIS
- Our school district is committed to the movement to advance data interoperability in public education. Join us: digitalpromise.org/di #DPLIS
- Join the movement to advance data interoperability in public education: digitalpromise.org/di #DPLIS
- Want to learn more about how secure and safe data exchange can support your teacher and students? Go to: digitalpromise.org/di #DPLIS